Insider Tips for Visiting Steamboat Springs
Planning your visit to Steamboat Springs? Here are some insider tips that will help you make the most out of your trip and have you feeling like you could get used to feeling like a local in the Yampa Valley.
- Stop by the Steamboat Springs Visitor Center- the staff are extremely helpful and most of them are longtime locals. They really know their stuff and can give you the lowdown on the can’t miss happy hour, the best place to catch live music, or even help you map your hiking routes for the weekend.
- Beat the hustle and bustle on a busy weekend and take the road less traveled. The Yampa River Core Trail stretches 7.5 miles and connects one side of town to the other. Hop on your bike and enjoy a scenic commute along the river to the heart of downtown.
- Explore Routt County. With so much do to in Steamboat proper, it’s hard to imagine venturing beyond the mountain and downtown. North Routt County is not only home to breathtaking Steamboat Lake and Hahn’s Peak, but you can also spend a serene afternoon on a paddleboard at Pearl Lake or grab some ice cream from the Clark Store. Head south to Stagecoach Reservoir for trophy fishing, check out the historic mining town of Oak Creek, or visit Yampa, known as the “gateway to the flattops”.
- Taste local products. Did you know Steamboat is now home to four breweries? Stop in to one of the local taprooms to try beers brewed right here in the Yampa Valley, browse the Farmers Market happening Saturdays throughout the summer, or head to a restaurant featuring locally raised beef and produce.
- Stock up on local products. Some of the best outdoor companies in the industry call Steamboat home. What better place to do market research than this endless outdoor playground? Swing by the little red house on Oak Street to check out the latest camping gear from Big Agnes. Smartwool is headquartered here in the Yampa Valley and you can find their products all over town. And don’t forget to stock up on Honey Stinger energy products to keep you fueled during all of your adventures.
Still have a question? Ask a local, Steamboat is known for our genuine western hospitality and we are happy to share our little slice of paradise with you.