About the Program
For small businesses, providing quality healthcare for employees can be a challenge.
Each year, our members tell us that healthcare is a top concern for their businesses. That's why the Steamboat Springs Chamber has partnered with the Small Association Leadership Alliance (SALA) to allow our members access to a comprehensive and cost-effective alternative to traditional insurance plans. The SALA Healthcare Program offers two preventative care plans with a medical cost sharing program covering unexpected or catastrophic events. Participants can expect to save as up to 60% when compared to traditional group health insurance. Prescription drug and telemedicine programs are also included. The SALA Healthcare Program is a comprehensive new program for Chambers and their membership. The SALA Healthcare Program helps businesses, who are unable to provide group health insurance, offer their employees access to affordable, high quality healthcare.
What is Medical Cost Sharing
Medical cost sharing is not insurance where a premium is paid and the risk of major medical expenses are assumed by the insurance company. In medical cost sharing the patient deals directly with the doctor or hospital without an insurance company actuary. Secondly, the patient becomes a responsible, cost-conscious consumer rather than only being responsible for a co-pay and no concern what is charged to the insurance company. Medical cost sharing plans are not for everyone, but a practical solution to managing healthcare costs.
The Healthcare Program is offered as a benefit of being a member of the Steamboat Springs Chamber. It is not meant to be a replacement for a traditional group insurance plan but rather an option for those who currently do not have insurance or have an extremely expensive individual plan. It is an alternative solution to rising healthcare costs that features a choice of two preventative care plans, each coupled with a medical cost sharing program to cover unexpected or catastrophic events.
- Medical Cost Sharing is NOT insurance
- Available to businesses and their employees
- Available to full-time, part-time and seasonal staff
- Enrollment period is rolling, allowing enrollment at any time during the year
- Lowers healthcare costs by as much as 60%
- Offers a choice of two high-quality, affordable healthcare solutions
- Includes a four (4) year “Rate Lock” – offering rate stability*
*For more detail on these benefits, please click on the FAQ icon below.
How it works
- Be a Steamboat Springs Chamber member.
- All membership levels are eligible
- Click here to become a member
- Watch the informational webinar.
- Prerecorded Webinar:
- Explore the program & plans. Use the links listed below to explore plan details, coverage specifics, FAQs, and Key Terms.
- Email us to get started and fill out the SALA Healthcare Program Application. Once we have verified your Chamber membership, Vic Walker, Membership Manager, will provide next steps to complete enrollment.
- Interested businesses should conduct a thorough analysis to ensure you understand the program and if it works for you.
Explore the Program
Medical Cost Sharing is not health insurance. It is critically important to understand the requirements and restrictions of the SALA Healthcare Program prior to applying. For example, most medical cost sharing organizations exclude or limit the amount eligible to share for pre-existing conditions. Medical cost sharing group plans are not appropriate for groups of 50 or more where employees with pre-existing conditions might not be covered and the employer could be subject to a tax penalty. There are exclusions for irresponsible behavior, including an accident or sickness related to drugs or alcohol. The website for each organization has the necessary detailed information to enable an informed decision.
The general information provided here has been taken from reliable resources. However, the Steamboat Springs Chamber does not provide insurance, legal or tax advice. We recommend that you seek competent legal advice for any questions on the forms and applications that you are required to sign to apply for membership to a medical cost-sharing organization.
The SALA Healthcare Program is not insurance and the Steamboat Springs Chamber is not an insurance agency or provider. This program is sponsored by the SALA (Small Association Leadership Alliance) with Minimum Essential Coverage (MEC) plans provided by Apex Management Group and a Medical Cost Sharing program provided by Sedera Health.
Click here to read press coverage on the Chamber's new healthcare program.